The metadata below describe the original scanning. Follow the "All Files: HTTP" link in the "View the book" box to the left to find XML files that contain more metadata about the original images and the derived formats (OCR results, PDF etc.). See also the What is the directory structure for the texts?
FAQ for information about file content and naming conventions.
February 10, 2013
A princess has no rights & cannot do what she pleased
The author was HRH The Princess Louise, daugther of Leopold II of Belgium & Queen Henrietta; Duchess of Coburg by her marriage & sister in law to Crown Prince Rudolph by her younger sister, Stephanie Austrian marriage.
She received public sympathies & deferrences due to series of tragedies fallen to her way like snowball. A socialist once remarked to her," This is the daughter of a King who is poorer than me"
Some of life darkest hues she had to endure:
1) Being declared insane for the reason of state and kept in madhouse institution for several years. A year passed before any of her relatives visited her; thats only after a journalist outcried being published. Real reason? Her husband; Phillipe of Coburg want to have execution power of her portion of inheritance once King of Belgium deceased. By Louise declared mad; he had undisputed legal power to do what he pleased on her behalf.
2) Sadly her own daughter & son in law ; Duchess & Duke of Schleswig - Holstein also attempted to do the same. By way of making her signing power of guardianship over her. Courts dissoluted this on the ground its made when the author was homeless & under duress.
3)Not allowed to returned to Belgium upon learning her mother was dying. Being barred from attending Queen Henrietta funeral ;whom she idolized.
3) She was received by police officer instead of courtier when attending Leopold II funeral. Futher; as was being barely treated as Princess of Belgium by constriction of her movement to certain part of the country.
4) Being deprived her cake of inheritance from her late aunt the unfortunate Empress Carlotta of Mexico.
5) Since madhouse scheme failed; her enemy avenging her by engaging the tricks of courtesans & mistresses ( who was secretly on paycheck of her enemies) to influence her father disinherited she & her sisters of Congo which the King bequeathed to Belgium. ( now independent republic)
In this book her wrote down her side of amusing life story. Its hard not to pity her. After all her life was merely a pawn. So this book was 1 of the way for her to she talked of hurts; ignorance; misjusticed; humiliation she suffered. In other way she took this opportunity to explain why she behaved on certain way. Also to defend herself of some bad wills made upon her.
Yet she managed to wrote a book that also talked good thing of peoples who harmed her. This gave her some air of respectibility at least by my eyes.
She stated that the only people her Kingly father harmed was His own family & especially if the reason of states was behind that. Having sacrified his family for states; Leopold II (largely influences by courtesan)bestowed the nation of Belgian with Congo as inheritance that exclude his children. Thats the extent of love her father has for His subject.
She was blamed to ignite the jealousy of her sister Stephanie of the philandering of Crown Prince Rudoplh. On contrary, by her own words, she has good relationship wt Crown Rudolph vice versa.
I noticed that in her argument; she will gave logic human understanding to justify. I would say i agree with some. The effect this enabled her to reached audience as they will understood & able to related to her especially women.
If you like know to know her experience in lunatic house leading to her escapement; its here.
If you had been saved by someone & you gathered strength to live again; then this then this book might evoke your experience.
If you are now homeless, in huge debt & living by charity; you will be able to related to her feeling when her father omitted her from enormous asset (the whole Republic Congo)
Here i have opportunity to learn about Louise of Belgium by her own words & many hidden clues lying by her choice of words; style of writing & the flow.